- Role: Legal & Insurance
- Type: Permanent - Full Time
- Hours: 37.5 Per Week
- Salary: Competitive
- Closing Date: 31-08-2017
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Location: Deltic Hub, Milton Keynes
The Legal and Company Secretarial Team provides legal support to all the late night bar and nightclub venues owned and operated by The Deltic Group as well as maintaining oversight of and providing support to the head office and central functions of the business.
We are seeking a confident, commercially minded, highly motivated and energetic lawyer to fill the key role of Legal Counsel. In this role you will support the general commercial activities of The Deltic Group whilst having specific responsibility for covering the legal aspects and requirements of commercial contracts and commercial property transactions for the business.
Our culture is underpinned by an uncompromising commitment to excellence. We are results driven, with the goal of providing practical legal solutions to our colleagues to facilitate their meeting of the ambitious business targets that underpin The Deltic Group's continued success.
The Legal Counsel must be able to fit into such a culture and be comfortable working with a diverse group of colleagues. Fit with the culture of the business and the soft skills required successfully to fill this strategic role are equally as important as legal knowledge.
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts in relation to procurement, IP, IT, joint venture arrangements, promoter and private hire arrangements.
- Support for the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and related legal processes across the business;
- Drafting confidentiality, NDA and non-compete letters.
- License and lease renewals;
- Providing support on acquisitions and disposals;
- General support on Commercial Property queries.
Corporate Administration and Governance
- Monitoring of compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements affecting the business and advise management of upcoming legislative and regulatory changes;
- Ensuring appropriate measures are in place to protect the assets of the business;
- Involvement in establishing and monitoring internal policies and procedures.
- Liaison with colleagues and external counsel to ensure corporate compliance with data protection legislation;
- Assisting with the implementation of policies and procedures in compliance with the GDPR.
- Support in managing external counsel relationships across the business, including managing engagement agreements and reviewing legal invoices;
- Monitoring and evaluating legal spend;
- Advice to all departments on a variety of day-to-day legal issues;
- Legal inductions for new employees;
- Summarising and communicating effectively complex legal concepts to various stakeholders at all levels in the business, demonstrating both flexibility and an intuitive approach in all communications;
- Assisting with the development and implementation of education and training programmes on topics where staff need to be aware of the legal background and context;
- Legal administration including legal record keeping.
This job description is not exhaustive and you may be required to carry out other duties as requested.
BACKGROUND & SKILLS NEEDED:
Professional requirements and experience
- Legally qualified with BA, BSc or LLB;
- Circa 0-2 years’ PQE;
- Computer literate with good Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong client relationship and negotiation skills are essential;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Keen attention to detail/presentation;
- Problem prevention mentality;
- A strong negotiator with the ability to demonstrate sound commercial and business acumen;
- Ability to find practical legal solutions to business challenges;
- Ability to think strategically, analyse carefully, exercise sound judgment and to work independently under time pressures on a wide range of issues in a fast-paced environment;
- A strong dynamic "can do", mature and flexible approach, and demonstrating a professional, proactive and enthusiastic attitude;
- Strong project management skills, with an ability to prioritise;
- Ability to participate effectively and constructively as a member of a team with the ability to influence and communicate effectively with colleagues and cross-functional teams at all levels of the business. Ability to be a strategic partner and trusted advisor for the business demonstrating an empathetic and approachable nature;
- Proven success in building internal and external partnerships, demonstrating the ability to work with people at different levels and from different backgrounds;
- Good sense of humour with a capacity to have fun and enjoy the working environment and its challenges;
- Common-sense, patience, determination, robustness and resilience;